Used or unwanted hearing aids in any condition are gratefully accepted as donations by the Hearing Speech & Deaf Center of Greater Cincinnati .
If you have behind-the-ear aids that are in good repair, we are able to use them as loaner aids for the children and adults that seek services at our Center.
Other hearing aids, particularly the in-the-ear type, are sent to a hearing aid manufacturer for use with the Hear Now Program (a program that assists many individuals throughout the U.S. and the world with obtaining hearing aids).
Who are our hearing aid donors?
The relatives of hearing aid users who have passed away. People who have purchased new aids and do not feel the need to keep the old ones. People who have received cochlear implants and therefore do not need the aid(s) anymore.
What are the tax benefits?
1. It is the donor's responsibility to determine the value of the donation. The tax benefit is only available for those donors who itemize deductions on their tax returns. Those who take the standard deduction receive no additional tax benefit. Only contributions made during that previous tax year are eligible for tax benefits.
- The tax law allows a deduction for the fair market value of the donation. The IRS reminds donors to maintain records of their donation to substantiate the value of their gift.
- Taxpayers can find assistance regarding the donations they make in Publication 526, Charitable contributions. A second reference, Publication 561, determining the Value of Donated Property, answers many questions that donors may have when they make non-cash contributions. Both publications are available at the IRS website, www.irs.gov, or by calling 1-800-TAX-FORM (1-800-829-3676). To help you determine the value of your donation, you can use a five year, straight line depreciation (see formula below).
- Divide the original cost by 5 to determine yearly depreciation.
- Multiply the yearly depreciation by the age of the aids.
- Subtract that figure from the original cost to determine the remaining value.
- All donations for a tax year must be postmarked no later than December 31 to receive tax benefits for the next filing.
Where to mail them?
Hearing Speech & Deaf Center
2825 Burnet Avenue
Cincinnati, OH 45219